Slow internet speeds can put a real damper on your online experience. If you have ever had to deal with pages that take forever to load or videos that buffer and stutter, then you know how painful slow internet can be. Luckily, you may be able to speed up your internet connection with some simple troubleshooting steps, a few minutes, and no money out of your pocket.
- Restart your devices: This is a simple one to start with. Slow speeds can be the result of devices which have been on for just too long. Restart your device, whether it is a computer, laptop, tablet, cell phone, or anything else that is causing you issues. Chances are, your internet experience will improve.
- Restart your router: If you have restarted your device and the speed issues continue, it may be related to your router. A quick reboot may help. If you are not sure how to do this, give us a call!
- Move closer to your wireless router: Is your router in another room or on another floor of your house? If you are connected to the internet wirelessly, you may experience speed or disconnection issues as you get further from the router. Moving closer to your router may solve the problem. If your issues persist, you may want to consider moving your router to a more centralized location in your home.
- Connect directly to your router: Is it convenient for you to connect your device directly to the router through the use of an ethernet cable? If so, do it! A wired internet connection will almost always be faster than a wireless connection, plus it will free up your wifi bandwidth for your other wireless devices.
- Turn some devices off: The more devices you have on and connected to the internet, the more of your available bandwidth is taken up. A good practice is to disconnect devices you are not using from the internet. By powering them off until you next need them, you can open up more bandwidth for your other devices.
If you follow these five steps, you will be well on your way to a faster and better internet experience. Still having issues? Give us a call and we will be more than happy to help you with your issue!